The summer season will soon be upon us and that means it’s time to start dreaming of summer vacation! Whether you’re looking for a whirlwind tour of the Island, a beach escape with the family, or you want to wine and dine you’re way through Charlottetown, we’ve laid out our top ways to spend a summer holiday in PEI.
Summer Lovin’ Road Trip
Take a week and explore the Island from tip to tip and embrace some of the most swoon-worthy stops along the way. Waking up to the smell of salt air and capping off the day on a seaside patio is the most dreamy way to spend a few days with your sweetheart. Here are some not to miss highlights for your summer lovin’ roadtrip.
- Begin your trip by exploring the North Cape Coastal Drive. Stop in Northport and get to know this quaint fishing town and take a leisurely stroll on the beautiful Cedar Dunes Beach.
- Make your way to Dalvay by the Sea. Nestled among the dunes and overlooking the ocean, this beachfront resort is a favourite of the royal couple and honeymooners alike. An Island gem, this is the place to go when you want to truly get away from it all.
- Drive down to the south shore to stop in at Victoria-by-the-Sea. Take a leisurely stroll down the pier and weave your way around the tiny village’s small streets. You’ll stumble upon antique stores, art galleries, and stop in for some freshly crafted Island Chocolates.
- A Romantic Hideaway Suite at the Great George Inn in Charlottetown will set the mood for any romantic getaway. With pillowy beds, fireplaces and baskets filled with cookies, you can understand why they were given the World Boutique Hotel Award in the Classic Elegance Category.
- Plan to stop for a day on a golf course known for its picturesque vistas of dunes and ocean. Crowbush is truly a couple’s golfing paradise. Cap off the evening with a romantic dinner and night in one of their 5 star rooms.
Charlottetown is a hub for all things culinary and cultural. Spend your afternoons getting to know the ins and outs of this vibrant Maritime city; from the inviting locals and beautiful boardwalk, to incredible cafes and shops on Victoria Row, there is so much to experience during a stay in the city.
- When dining out there is no shortage of options. From freshly caught lobster takeout to contemporary gourmet restaurants, there’s a reason they call us Canada’s Food Island! We recommend a night at Sim’s Corner Steakhouse and Oyster Bar. Prince Edward Island beef and oysters. Need we say more?
- A night at the Confederation Centre is a must for any visit to Charlottetown. Check out the world-renowned production of Anne of Green Gables – The Musical (soon to be running its 53rd consecutive season!), or get tickets to the ultimate in feel-good musicals, Mama Mia!
- Close out the night with a stop at the PEI Brewing Company. You’ll keep company with the locals while enjoying pints of Island crafted beer.
- Get a sailor’s view by resting your head at the city’s only waterfront hotel. The Delta Prince Edward’s newly renovated rooms are the perfect way to relax after a day of exploring.
Soak in the Sun
The beach calling your name? Kids want to spend hours perfecting sand castles? Known for its miles of pristine beaches, Cavendish Beach is the perfect place to call home during a family vacation.
Beyond the beach, check out some family friendly activities in the area. Shining Waters Family Fun Park, COWS ice cream, and a visit to Green Gables House are rites of passage for any kid-friendly PEI trip. Even if you get rained out one afternoon, it’s a great excuse to check out some of the indoor activities across the Island.
PEI Vacation Packs can make this the most easy breezy vacation imaginable. From cottage rentals at the Gables of PEI to PEI National Park and Confederation Bridge passes, they will take care of all the planning so you can get to the beach even sooner.